[amibroker] Re: PositionSize / Capital

I love it. This also helps avoid the tiny positions somebody (Al?)
mentioned yesterday (and I've experienced also). But why do you say
it will usually probably use the 10 or 20% sized positions? Shouldn't
that mean you're setting your risk parameter unrealistically low?

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ed nl" <ed2000nl@xxxx> wrote:
> This way you can use a range: Maximum 20% minimum 10% of equity:
>
> rsk = -2; // 2%
> PositionSize = Min(-10,Max(-20,rsk * Ref(C,-1) / stopLoss));
>
> In practice it most of the time it probably either uses 10% or 20%.
>
> Ed

AFL"
>   >
>   > I think you can solve this using:
>   >
>   > rsk = -2; // 2%
>   > PositionSize = Max(-20,rsk * Ref(C,-1) / stopLoss);
>   >
>   > now it will never use more than 20% of equity.
>   >
>   > About the minimum number of trades I don't know. In my system
that
>   would be impossible because sometimes good entries just dry up
and I
>   can't find even find 5.
>   >
>   > rgds, Ed
>   >
Another
>   way
>   >     > might be dynamically setting your risk to fit the
volatility
>   of
>   >     each
>   >     > stock individually (the lower the volatility, the lower
the
>   risk
>   >     and
>   >     > therefore, the smaller the positionsize for that stock).
>   However,
>   >     > this changes your model so that you no longer have equal
>   >     > volatility/equal risk (getting closer to the equal equity
>   model).
>   >     So,
>   >     > the problem remains unsolved for the moment. I have not
had
>   time to
>   >     > devote to cracking this problem yet, but some day I hope
>   do
>   >     this.
>   >     > If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.
>   >     > >
>   >     > >   Al Venosa
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >   ed nl wrote:
>   >     > >     Thanks for your effort Al. It is very clear,
>   >     > >
>   >     > >     In one of my earlier posts I posted
>   >     > >
>   >     > >     // money management block
>   >     > >     stopLoss = Ref(bbb*ATR(20),-1);
>   >     > >     // trade risk
>   >     > >     tr = IIf(Buy,(stopLoss / BuyPrice),stopLoss /
>   (ShortPrice +
>   >     > stopLoss));
>   >     > >     // renormalisation coefficient
>   >     > >     rc = 0.02 / tr;
>   >     > >     // positionsize
>   >     > >     PositionSize = rc * -100
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >     it actually gives the same result as your:
>   >     > >     PositionSize = -2.0 * IIf
(Buy,BuyPrice,ShortPrice) /
>   stopLoss
>   >     > >     except for short positions. Exact the same it would
be
>   if I
>   >     > use: tr = IIf(Buy,(stopLoss / BuyPrice),stopLoss /
>   (ShortPrice));
>   >     > >
>   >     > >     Unfortunatelly I do not get better results this
way.
>   Using
>   >     just
>   >     > a simple PositionSize = -10 still gives somewhat better
>   results.
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >     rgds, Ed
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
You
>   simply
>   >     > divide your risk, $1000, by 2*1, which is 500 shares.
This
> [...]
>   you are
>   >     > trading with EOD data, you do not know what the buyprice
is
>   until
>   >     you
>   >     > buy the stock, which is the next day. So, what most
traders
>   do is
>   >     > base their positionsize on the closing price of the night
>   before
>   >     the
>   >     > entry. Therefore, to place an order in the evening to be
>   filled in
>   >     > the morning at the open, your positionsize statement
would
>   actually
>   >     > be:
>   >     > >
>   >     > >       PositionSize = -1 * C/StopAmt;
>   >     > >
>   >     > >       where C is the closing price on the night before
you
>   buy.
>   >     So,
>   >     > if you use the code SetTradeDelays(1,1,1,1), then the
above
>   formula
>   >     > is OK. However, if you use SetTradeDelays(0,0,0,0), then
you
>   have
>   >     > ref the C back a day.
>   >     > >
>   >     > >       This is probably more information than you were
>   asking
>   >     about,
>   >     > but I hope it helps.
>   >     > >
>   >     > >       Cheers,
>   >     > >
>   >     > >       Al Venosa
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >   Check AmiBroker web page at:
>   >     > >   http://www.amibroker.com/
>   >     > >
>   >     > >   Check group FAQ at:
>   >     >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > >
>   >     > > --------------------------------------------------------
----
>   ------
>   >     --
>   >     > ----------
>   >     > >   Yahoo! Groups Links
>   >     > >
>   >     > >     a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
>   >     > >
>   >     > >     b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
to:
>   >     > >
>   >     > >     c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
Yahoo!
>   Terms
>   >     of
>   >     > Service.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >     Check AmiBroker web page at:
>   >     http://www.amibroker.com/
>   >
>   >     Check group FAQ at:
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Check AmiBroker web page at:
>   >   http://www.amibroker.com/
>   >
>   >   Check group FAQ at:
>   >
>   >
>   >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > ----------------------------------------------------------------
----
>   >
>   >     c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms of
>   Service.
>

>   Check AmiBroker web page at:
>   http://www.amibroker.com/