Re: [amibroker] significant price changes returned with ZERO profit in backtesting

Hello,

1. First thing - you are running your formula in "old backtester".
It does not hurt but just wanted to point out the fact that you are missing
new reports that way.

2. Profit is zero because POSITIONVALUE is zero. When the trade size
is zero it simply does not generate profit.

Old backtester shows such zero-valued trades (although such trade is not really entered).
New (porfolio) backtester does not show zero-valued trades at all.

When it may happen that your position value is zero?
Generally speaking when you don't have enough cash in the account to purchase
desired amount of stocks.

This can happen in several cases with most two most often reasons:

a) you don't have "allow position size shrinking" box marked in the settings
while your desired position size is higher than available cash
b) your round lot size setting is very high and you don't have enough cash
to purchase this lot

So I would suggest to:
set 'round lot size' to one and check your positionsize variable assignment in the code.

If you want me to help you further (fix your formula) please e-mail me directly
at tj at amibroker.com.

Please note that this list is read by 1000+ people and not everyone is interested
in receiving large attachments.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com