RE: [amibroker] Re: Historical volume filtering (for Phsst)

G'day,
Phsst...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I just
sent Al an email that answered your question.  Rather than asking you to go
look at that email, I will repeat it here for you:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

I get my data from CSI
Unfair Advantage.   To my knowledge, it is the only data supplier that
provides both actual and backadjusted prices and volume.   <SPAN
class=553132018-21062003>It also allows me to extract backadjusted prices with
eight digits after the decimal (999.12345678) accuracy.   I
convert the CSI data to MetaStock format, placing the actual close in the open
interest column.   It is possible to "squeeze" other data into the
open interest column such as earnings, dividends, etc., but I'm not at the
moment.   Since open interest is an integer field, I multiply the
actual close by 100 before placing it in the field.   If I was writing
some AFL to filter price and volume, I might say something
like:

BuyOK = OI > 100 and
Volume > 200000;       // 100 =
$1
ShortOK = OI > 600 and
Volume > 300000;    //  600 = $6

<FONT
face=Arial>P.S.  I am not marketing (nor do I have any financial
interest in) CSI data.  I've been using it since Jesus was a little fella'
and I think it's the best.   All data has errors.  I believe that
CSI has fewer than the rest.   I submit a list of errors that I have
detected to CSI every week and they correct them within 24 hours.
Other vendors don't even reply.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 11:23
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Historical volume filteringChuck,Now I
  understand.I totally underestimated the breadth and sophistication of
  yourhistorical database. You obviously have significant time and
  financialresources tied up in maintaining your database. > Now,
  to answer your direct question.   While I use actual prices
  andvolumes for filtering, I use backadjusted prices for all
  tradingcalculations.  As you suggest, that's the only way to
  compensate forsplits, dividends, cash payouts, etc. when calculating
  indicatorsand/or profit and losses once you actually trade the
  stock.<How do you accomplish the above? With two seperate db's...
  one withactual price/vol to filter against and create a watchlist, and
  then asplit-adjusted db that you use the watch list against,
  ignoringprice/vol metrics since that has already been taken care of in the
  1stscan?And frankly, I never gave much thought to the effect
  thatsplit-adjusted data might have on price/volume filters in
  backtestsystems.Thanks for the insight. Very
  impressive.Phsst --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck
  Rademacher"<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> Whew... at last
  someone asked the question.> > Phsst asked me:   if
  you really use non-split adjusted data, how do you> account for stock
  splits in your> backtest results where a 2 for 1, or 3 for 2, or 4 for
  5 stock split has> occurred. For example if your system generates a
  trade when thestock price> is at 50, and a 2 for 1 split occurs
  dropping the price to 25(reducing your> position by one-half), how
  in the heck do you account for the price> reduction which did not
  REALLY account for a loss in your 'real life> account' but which
  devasted your backtest results?> > I've actually commented on
  this previously, but I always felt like the> explanation got lost in
  the shuffle.> > For filtering purposes, I use ACTUAL prices and
  ACTUAL volumes.  To me,> anything else is a waste of
  time.   I've given hundreds examples on this> board, but I
  will give some here for completeness:> > DELL was actually
  trading at $9.12 on 19880817.   I'm sure you areshowing
  a> price of $0.09 or somthing similar in your data.> >
  YHOO was actually trading at $33.00 on 19960412.   I'm sure you
  areshowing> a price of $2.75 or something similar in your
  data.> > Volumes, as shown in most data vendor's databases are
  off by the same> magnitude.> > How can anyone possibly
  use backadjusted prices and/or volumes for> filtering?> >
  Now, to answer your direct question.   While I use actual prices
  andvolumes> for filtering, I use backadjusted prices for all
  tradingcalculations.  As> you suggest, that's the only way to
  compensate for splits,dividends, cash> payouts, etc. when
  calculating indicators and/or profit and lossesonce you> actually
  trade the stock.> > Here again, the accuracy of the data is
  paramount.  Many stocks are> backadjusted to the point where most
  data suppliers might show a stock> trading for $0.10 for almost a
  month.   Two decimal digits simply isn't> accurate
  enough.   My database carries eight decimal digits for the>
  backadjusted data.   That way, I can see that a stock went
  from0.10000000> to 0.10600000 to 0.10900000, etc.
  These are huge moves thatdisappear in> the data of most data
  vendors.> > Are you aware, for instance, that VectorVest rounded
  backadjustedprices to> the nearest ten cents in some of its early
  data?   It's bad enoughthat the> data is stored with only
  two decimal digits, but to the nearest tencents?> Useless.>
  > I hope that answers your question and I'm relieved that someone
  actually> asked it.   I'm afraid that I can not apologise for
  being sopedantic when> it comes to the accuracy of data.>
  Message----->   From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxx]>   Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 12:24
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Historical volume filtering> >
  >   Chuck,> >   I've been keeping
  'grandkids on steroids' today, so I am a little>
  punch-drunk. I've read all the posts on this thread and have a
  couple>   of comments.> >   Your
  database goes back to '85. As I relate to my own situation,
  my>   average Positionsize in '85 was only a fraction of my
  Positionsize>   today. I've been backtesting since the late
  80's, and have used VOLUME>   for two (2) purposes... (1) to
  gauge price action, and (2) to gauge>   liquidity as it
  related to MY POSITION SIZE. On the second count, as>   my
  personal positionsize increased, so did the average volume in
  the>   markets.> >   As mentioned in
  subsequent posts on this subject, I've filtered both>   my
  backtests and my actual trades based upon a volume multiple of
  my>   Positionsize as opposed to x# of shares traded per day,
  irrespective>   of price.> >   You
  and I have both stated that we backtest based upon 'fixed
  position>   size'. And yet other people are not able to
  relate to that. They seem>   to think that everyone
  'compounds' their trades on a daily basis>   depending upon
  their account size growth or demise as a direct result>   of
  trading results. The truth (for me)  is a compromise... As
  my>   account size grows(whether thru trade profits or
  savings) I gradually>   increase my Positionsize, but it is
  not directly proportional to>   trading success.>
  >   So in my mind, increases in actual market trading volume
  are just>   about proportional to increases in my own account
  size, and are>   therefore a 'non-issue'.>
  >   Another issue for me is your multiple posts relating to
  prefering>   non-split adjusted data.>
  >   Every time you've mentioned your preference for
  'non-split adjusted>   data', I've chosen to ignore the
  subject rather than to open it up as>   an issue.>
  >   But it is time to ask the crucial question... if you
  really use>   non-split adjusted data, how do you account for
  stock splits in your>   backtest results where a 2 for 1, or
  3 dor 2, or 4 for 5 stock split>   has occurred. For example
  if your system generates a trade when the>   stock price is
  at 50, and a 2 for 1 split occurs dropping the price to>   25
  (reducing your position by one-half), how in the heck do
  you>   account for the price reduction which did not REALLY
  account for a>   loss in your 'real life account' but which
  devasted your backtestresults?> >   Just
  curious.> >   Phsst> > > >
  > >   groups.com, "Chuck Rademacher"
  <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:>   > I was about to send
  this email to "b", but I would welcomecomments from>
  > anyone else interested in such historical work.>
  >>   > At the risk of having some of you ask why it
  matters, my backtesting>   > generally goes back to
  1985.    Just yesterday, I posted a message>
  to this>   > group saying that I always use one set of
  parameters across all>   stocks and>   >
  across all timeframes.   One of the downsides of this
  approach>   (perhaps) is>   > that volume
  has changed over time.   I suppose that one couldargue
  that>   > volatility changes over time as
  well.   Volatility, however, goes>
  through>   > cycles and volume just keeps
  growing.>   >>   > The question that I
  have involves volume filtering.   To me, it is>
  essential>   > that volume filters be applied to actual
  volume and not backadjusted>   volume.>
  > My concern, however, is that if I apply a filter requiring anaverage
  of>   > 300,000 shares, I don't get very many hits back in
  the late 80's and>   early>   >
  90's.>   >>   > I have a solution in
  mind and would appreciate some input or>   dialogue on
  the>   > subject.    It seems to me that
  volume filtering should be basedon some>   >
  percentage of the total volume of all NYSE stocks
  (forinstance).   I>   > haven't done my
  homework yet, but let's say that the average volume>   today
  is>   > ten times more than it was in 1985.   If
  I decide to filter today at>   300,000>
  > shares, wouldn't it make sense to filter based on 30,000 shares
  in>   1985.   I>   > can
  probably answer that question myself by saying that I
  don't>   think 30,000>   > would be an
  adequate filter in 1985.   But I could scale it
  from>   100,000 to>   > 300,000
  progressively between 1985 and 2003 based on mathematical>
  equation.>   >>   > You may ask why
  backtesting to 1985 (or any other date) isimportant.>
  > There are dozens of reasons, but the most important reason to meis
  that>   > prospective investors in any funds that I manage
  want to see how a>   proposed>   > system
  would have performed over a statistically meaningful
  period>   of time.>   > You can argue
  about the relevance of such information, but THEY>   EXPECT
  TO>   > SEE IT.   For the record, I also think
  that it is very important.>   >>   > I
  welcome comments from anyone with an interest or knowledge in
  this>   area.> >
  >         Yahoo! Groups
  bugs@xxxx>   Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx>