RE: [amibroker] Historical volume filtering

I was going to suggest the
$ turnover, but thought as well it would cloud the issue, but the same filter on
averages of turnover would be far better. This would then allow for the price
changes over the large period of time.

TOsetting =300000<FONT
size=2> * LastValue<FONT
size=2>(C) *
ValueWhen<FONT
size=2>(Status<FONT
size=2>("barinrange"<FONT
size=2>),(MA<FONT
size=2>(V<FONT
size=2>*C<FONT
size=2>,260<FONT
size=2>))/LastValue<FONT
size=2>(MA<FONT
size=2>(V<FONT
size=2>*C<FONT
size=2>,260<FONT
size=2>));<o:SmartTagType name="PersonName"
namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags">

<B
><I
><SPAN
>Cheers<SPAN
class=GramE>,<st1:PersonName
><B
><I
><SPAN
>Graham
<A
href=""><SPAN
>http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading
<A
href=""><SPAN
>http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck Rademacher
  [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, 20 June 2003
  8:35 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
  [amibroker] Historical volume filtering
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Thanks, Graham.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  If I
  correctly understand what you are proposing, I'm afraid that I would end up
  with a very low filter (10,000 to 30,000) back in 1985.   I agree
  with Al's suggestion in his reply, that it would be best to normalise the
  range to fall between two well thought out values.   The low value
  would be one that I might have used for filtering for real
  trading in 1985 and the high value would be the filter that I would use
  now.
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Graham
    [mailto:gkavanagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003
    8:23 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
    [amibroker] Historical volume filtering
    Chuck have you tried
    just using average volumes to adjust the volume setting.
    Don't know if this
    works correctly, but something to consider
    <FONT
    face=Arial>

    Vsetting =300000<FONT
    size=2> * ValueWhen<FONT
    size=2>(Status<FONT
    size=2>("barinrange"<FONT
    size=2>),(MA<FONT
    size=2>(V<FONT
    size=2>,260<FONT
    size=2>))/LastValue<FONT
    size=2>(MA<FONT
    size=2>(V<FONT
    size=2>,260<FONT
    size=2>));
    <FONT
    face=Arial>
    <I
    ><SPAN
    >Cheers<SPAN
    class=GramE>,<st1:PersonName
    ><B
    ><I
    ><SPAN
    >Graham

    <A
    href=""><SPAN
    >http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading
    <A
    href=""><SPAN
    >http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia

      <FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck
      Rademacher [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday,
      20 June 2003 8:02 AMTo:
      amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Historical volume
      filtering
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>I was about to send this email to "b", but I would welcome comments
      from anyone else interested in such historical
      work.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>At the risk of having some of you ask why it matters, my
      backtesting generally goes back to 1985.    Just yesterday,
      I posted a message to this group saying that I always use one set of
      parameters across all stocks and across all
      timeframes.   One of the downsides of this approach
      (perhaps) is that volume has changed over time.   I suppose that
      one could argue that volatility changes over time as well.
      Volatility, however, goes through cycles and volume just keeps
      growing.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>The question that I have involves volume filtering.   To
      me, it is essential that volume filters be applied to actual volume and
      not backadjusted volume.  My concern, however, is that if I
      apply a filter requiring an average of 300,000 shares, I don't get very
      many hits back in the late 80's and early
      90's.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>I have a solution in mind and would appreciate some input or
      dialogue on the subject.    It seems to me that volume
      filtering should be based on some percentage of the total volume of
      all NYSE stocks (for instance).   I haven't done my homework
      yet, but let's say that the average volume today is ten times more than it
      was in 1985.   If I decide to filter today at 300,000 shares,
      wouldn't it make sense to filter based on 30,000 shares in
      1985.   I can probably answer that question myself by saying
      that I don't think 30,000 would be an adequate filter in 1985.
      But I could scale it from 100,000 to 300,000 progressively between 1985
      and 2003 based on mathematical equation.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>You may ask why backtesting to 1985 (or any other date) is
      important.   There are dozens of reasons, but the most
      important reason to me is that prospective investors in any funds that I
      manage want to see how a proposed system would have performed
      over a statistically meaningful period of time.   You can argue
      about the relevance of such information, but THEY EXPECT TO SEE
      IT.   For the record, I also think that it is very
      important.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT
      face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I welcome comments from anyone with an
      interest or knowledge in this
      area.Send BUG REPORTS to
      bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
      <A