RE: [amibroker] Re: Yo Chuck ... Regarding Staying within Hedge contract boundaries ...

Yes,
thanks.   That will work for me.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 4:24
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Yo Chuck ... Regarding Staying within Hedge contract boundaries
  ...REALLY !?--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "Chuck Rademacher" <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> I prefer
  scenario #1, thanks.>   -----Original
  Message----->   From: Fred
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]>   Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 4:17
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Yo Chuck ... Regarding Staying within
  Hedge> contract boundaries ...> >
  >   Chuck,> >   Ok here's the deal
  ... I understand the desire to be able to deal>   with the
  percentage(s) in a dynamic way and given that the
  parameters>   are defined in the main AFL and will
  therefore I think be "global">   you may very well be getting
  what you ask for if you set and/or reset>   them in the
  scoring function.> >   But that aside for a moment ...
  I can do either of the scenarios I>   outlined in my last
  post without having to constrict you to 50/50 ...>   the
  question is which would you prefer ...> >   In
  scenario 1 ... you pick one number ... say 50 and it will
  keep>   investments between 75/25 and 25/75 i.e. within 50%
  of each other>   but it won't care whether you are long 75%
  or short 75% or anywhere>   in between, it will take
  positions in securities based on the order>   they are
  ranked in as long as that doesn't violate whatever the>
  parameter value is ...> >   Scenario 2 ... you pick
  two numbers ... say 80 and 50 and it will>   constrain the
  longs to be between those two percentages of total>
  investements ...> >   All of the above assumes there
  are enough candidates on whichever>   side that have been
  ranked.  If there aren't the balance goes to cash>
  until there are.> >   Keep in mind which ever scenario
  you pick and even if you can change>   these from the
  scoring function that the trading routines will NOT>
  instantly close positions to get in line with the new
  percentage(s),>   they will only do so as positions are
  exited based on scoring.> >   and ... I don't care if
  you ask questions as to how something will>   work or should
  work or you want to work, but I don't assume when I>   ask
  you a question that someone elses answer is the sme as
  your>   answer, again for the same reasons stated
  earlier.> >   Fred> >   --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher">
  <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:>   > I will try very
  hard to answer your questions in as much detail as>
  possible,>   > without asking another
  question.>   >>   > I would like to be
  able to dynamically indicate what percentage of>
  available>   > funds can be applied to long trades and
  what percentage could be>   applied to>
  > short trades.>   >>   > The
  reason that I say "dynamically" is because I would like to
  be>   able to>   > change the ratio
  from (say) 75% long when the trend is up and 25%>   long
  when>   > the trend is down.>
  >>   > That is what I would like to do.   I
  would be satisfied with being>   > constrained to
  always being 50% long and 50% short.>
  >>   > I can do something in my AFL to make sure that
  you always have>   enough buy>   > and
  short signals to satisfy the minimum number of positions
  to>   have on in>   > each direction,
  even if the ticker I use is for a bond-type of fund.>
  >>   >>   >
  -----Original Message----->   >   From: Fred
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]>   >   Sent: Tuesday,
  June 10, 2003 3:26 AM>   >   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   >   Subject:
  [amibroker] Re: Yo Chuck ... Regarding Staying within>
  Hedge>   > contract boundaries ...>
  >>   >>   >
  Chuck,>   >>   >   Please
  don't answer questions with questions ... what I'm
  looking>   for>   >   is a
  specification that you'll be satisfied with and given
  that>   the>   >   work is
  gratis as opposed to what would have been charged
  several>   >   hundred dollars an hour for
  in days gone by I think this is a>   >
  reasonable request.  Even if it wasn't free I'd still want
  the>   specs>   >   before I
  did the work.  I've dealt with users long enough>
  regardless>   >   of how sophisticated they are
  or think they are to know that>   usually>
  >   if you assume what they want based on a few general
  statements>   that>   >   they
  make rather than asking direct questions that you wind up>
  >   designing stuff they never use and then having to do it again
  and>   >   given that I'd rather be spending
  time scuba diving in the>   Caribbean>
  >   or a hundred other things I can think of instead of writing
  s/w>   I'd>   >   really
  hate to write and have to do it again ...>
  >>   >   With regards to market neutral
  capabilities are you wanting to>   have a>
  >   single parameter where you can specify a field
  like>   >   MarketNeutralTolerance which would
  be interpretted as follows ...>
  >>   >   0  - Implies there's no freedom
  that you must be long/short>   50/50 ...>
  >   50 - Implies that there's 50% freedom so long/short 75/25
  would be>   >   okay but so would long/short
  25/75>   >>   >   or is what
  you are wanting to have two parameters where you can>
  >   specify the MarketNeutralMaxLongPct and
  MarketNeutralMinLongPct>   which>
  >   would keep long side investments between the two assuming
  there>   were>   >
  sufficient long candidates and then shorts would be allowed
  to>   fill>   >   in the
  gaps.>   >>   >   TIA,
  Fred>   >>   >>
  >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck
  Rademacher">   >   <chuck_rademacher@x>
  wrote:>   >   > Perhaps this is the question
  you want answered by me?>   >
  >>   >   > As far as your request for
  having market neutral capability goes>   >
  within a>   >   > particlar portfolio that is
  certainly doable but I need to have>
  an>   >   answer to>
  >   > my other question which is what to do with $ when a
  sell/cover>   >   happens
  and>   >   > there are no remaining ranked
  candidates to chose from that have>   >
  their>   >   > "eyes" on a trade in the same
  market direction as the one that>
  was>   >   just>
  >   > exited.>   >
  >>   >   > Is the scenario you are
  questioning any different from one>   where
  I>   >   simply>
  >   > don't have any buy signals at all in a "long" only
  system?>   >   Since "b" and
  I>   >   > both primarily use a timing
  approach, we are in the market>   (long),>
  >   just over>   >   > half the
  time.   Therefore, there will be quite a few
  instances>   >   where
  we>   >   > will have exited long positions
  and don't wish to take new ones.>   >
  >>   >   > If this is a problem for PT, we
  could certainly automatically>
  shift>   >   the>
  >   > money (using our own AFL logic) into a known money
  market or>   bond>   >   fund
  and>   >   > PT wouldn't know the
  difference.   Of course, in this case we>
  would>   >   either>
  >   > have to automatically increase the amount invested in
  one>   >   instrument or
  have>   >   > multiple instruments (albeit
  some may be fake) to handle>   multiple>
  >   > transactions for the usual amount being invested in
  normal>   stocks.>   >
  >>   >   > I hope this makes sense.
  This is a fairly complex subject and>
  the>   >   English>
  >   > language, even if it's my only language, can be a
  challenge at>   >
  times.>   >>   >>
  >         Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor>   >>   >>