RE: [amibroker] Re: Real world trading - brainstorming

Yes,
Phsst... backadjusted means split-adjusted (both ways).   I do all
price filtering based on "actual" prices.   Have a look at AOL in 1992
(actual vs. backadjusted).
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 1:40
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Real world trading - brainstorming>It would also
  help if you believed in the need to use actual prices>instead of
  backadjusted prices and that you have access to such>information.
  Does 'backadjusted prices' mean split-adjusted price
  data?Phsst--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck
  Rademacher"<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> I have come up with
  some fairly profitable ways of using one of AB'svery> powerful
  features (AddToComposite).   Perhaps my approach is alreadyold
  hat> to many of you, in which case it's easy to hit the delete
  button.   I'm> hoping, however, to stir up some dialogue
  regarding the concept in hopes> that we can help each other through
  brainstorming the idea(s) evenfurther.> > In order to best
  utilise what I am proposing, you would ideally have a> system that
  generates lots of trades (1,000 plus) and you wouldalready be a>
  believer in backtesting over several years of data.   It would
  alsohelp if> you believed in the need to use actual prices instead
  ofbackadjusted prices> and that you have access to such
  information.    You can stillbenefit from> this
  approach without these conditions being true, but not as much.>
  > The first idea that I'm going to describe assumes that stocks
  indifferent> price brackets do better than other stocks and that
  the bracket ofthe best> performers changes over time.   I
  have proven, at least to myself,that this> assumption is
  valid.   I'm sure all of you have heard
  commentatorssaying> that the mid-cap stocks have been outperforming
  the large-caprecently or> the micro-cap stocks have been the best
  performers over the last 30days,> etc.> > Let's
  assume that you have a fairly profitable system that generates too>
  many trades in proportion to the amount of cash you have available.
  One> way of reducing the number of trades would be to only take
  tradesfor stocks> in the price range that has been performing the
  best in recenttimes.    I> made several composite
  files that contain the average returns forvarious> price
  brackets.   For instance, I made a composite file containing
  the> returns for stocks in the $1 to $5 price range, $6 to $10
  pricerange, etc.> I used a simple formula (close/ref(close,-20))
  for determining thereturns> and wrote the composite with a count
  for how many stocks met thecriteria> each day as well as the total
  returns for all of the stocks meeting the> criteria each day.>
  > When I run a scan or optimization using my trading system, I
  canread these> composite files (using the Foreign function) and
  calculate averagereturns> for each price bracket.   Each
  day,  I can determine which pricebrackets> are performing the
  best (or worst for shorting) and filter my tradesto only> trade the
  best one or two price brackets.   Of course, you can
  usevarious> smoothing techniques to filter out some of the
  noise.> > By placing this price bracket ranking in one of my
  Explorationcolumns, I> can place my orders for the day by working
  my way down the buy (orshort)> signals in sequence until I run out
  of cash.> > I have backtested this technique and it adds enough
  additionalprofit to the> bottom line to make it
  worthwhile.   Sectors and/or industries workwell if>
  substituted for price brackets.> > Here's another idea, very
  much related to the one above.   Let's saythat> you like
  to use moving average systems.   Or you would like to usethem,
  but> have trouble making them dynamic enough to adjust to various
  market> conditions and cycles.    For sake of
  simplicity, we'll just look at a> simple two-period crossover
  system.   Let's say that the short timeframe> might range
  from three to eight days and the long timeframe might gofrom>
  eleven to 20 days.   What I did in this case was make the
  following> composite files:> >
  ~Composite311    (will contain returns based on using a 3/11
  crossover)> ~Composite312    (will contain returns based
  on using a 3/12 crossover)> etc.> > > I then run
  my system over historical data, creating a composite foreach of>
  the possible timeframes (3/11, 3/12, 3/13, etc.).   Tedious
  forsure.   If> you are determined to use a moving average
  crossover system,however, this> is worth the effort.>
  > Each composite file would contain the equity curve information
  resulting> from using the applicable crossover periods.>
  > The actual trading system would determine (each day) which of
  thevarious> timeframe possibilities has been performing over the
  last 20, 30,etc. days> and would use the relevant timeframes for
  trading going forward.> > There is a problem with what to do
  with trades that were enteredusing one> pair of timeframes when you
  switch to using another.   But you haveto deal> with this
  problem anyway if you are going to use any sort of dynamically>
  adjusted moving average or similar system.> > Another idea that
  I am playing with has two composite files.  Onecontaining> the
  results derived from trading the same system on stocks paying high>
  yields and the other for stocks with low debt/equity ratios.  Through
  time,> I can see definite times when one of these groups has better
  returnsthan> the other.   Emphasis of investors and
  traders seems to switch fromyield to> debt and back again over
  time.> > Just a couple of ideas.   The first one
  (price brackets) seem tohave the> best reward for the amount of
  time invested.   Substituting sectors for> price brackets
  produced some interesting results.   It frequentlypays
  to> buy the worst performing sectors as long as the peformance
  isworking its> way back to the top.  Of course, you could
  substitute actual marketcap for> price brackets too.>
  > Have a think... you'll surely come up with some ways to use
  and/orimprove> on what I've done.Send
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.