size=2>d

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck Rademacher
  [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003
  11:19 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [amibroker] Real world trading - brainstorming
  have come up with some fairly profitable ways of using one of AB's very
  powerful features (AddToComposite).   Perhaps my approach is already
  old hat to many of you, in which case it's easy to hit the delete
  button.   I'm hoping, however, to stir up some dialogue regarding
  the concept in hopes that we can help each other through brainstorming the
  idea(s) even further.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  In
  order to best utilise what I am proposing, you would ideally have a system
  that generates lots of trades (1,000 plus) and you would already be a
  believer in backtesting over several years of data.   It would also
  help if you believed in the need to use actual prices instead of backadjusted
  prices and that you have access to such information.    You can
  still benefit from this approach without these conditions being true, but not
  as much.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  The
  first idea that I'm going to describe assumes that stocks in different
  price brackets do better than other stocks and that the bracket of the
  best performers changes over time.   I have proven, at least to
  myself, that this assumption is valid.   I'm sure all of you have
  heard commentators saying that the mid-cap stocks have been outperforming the
  large-cap recently or the micro-cap stocks have been the best performers over
  the last 30 days, etc.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Let's assume that you have a fairly profitable system that generates
  too many trades in proportion to the amount of cash you have
  available.   One way of reducing the number of trades would be to
  only take trades for stocks in the price range that has been performing the
  best in recent times.    I made several composite files
  that contain the average returns for various price brackets.
  For instance, I made a composite file containing the returns for stocks in the
  $1 to $5 price range, $6 to $10 price range, etc.  I used a simple
  formula (close/ref(close,-20)) for determining the returns and wrote the
  composite with a count for how many stocks met the criteria each day as well
  as the total returns for all of the stocks meeting the criteria each
  day.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  When
  I run a scan or optimization using my trading system, I can read these
  composite files (using the Foreign function) and calculate average returns for
  each price bracket.   Each day,  I can determine which price
  brackets are <FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>performing the best (or worst for shorting)
  and filter my trades to only trade the best one or two price
  brackets.   Of course, you can use various smoothing techniques to
  filter out some of the noise.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  By
  placing this price bracket ranking in one of my Exploration columns, I can
  place my orders for the day by working my way down the buy (or short) signals
  in sequence until I run out of cash.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  have backtested this technique and it adds enough additional profit to the
  bottom line to make it worthwhile.   Sectors and/or industries
  work well if substituted for price brackets.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Here's another idea, very much related to the one above.
  Let's say that you like to use moving average systems.   Or you
  would like to use them, but have trouble making them dynamic enough to adjust
  to various market conditions and cycles.    For sake of
  simplicity, we'll just look at a simple two-period crossover
  system.   Let's say that the short timeframe might range from three
  to eight days and the long timeframe might go from eleven to 20
  days.   What I did in this case was make the following composite
  files:
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>~Composite311    (will contain returns based on using a
  3/11 crossover)
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>~Composite312    (will contain returns based on using a
  3/12 crossover)
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>etc.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  then run my system over historical data, creating a composite for each of the
  possible timeframes (3/11, 3/12, 3/13, etc.).   Tedious for
  sure.   If you are determined to use a moving average crossover
  system, however, this is worth the effort.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  Each
  composite file would contain the equity curve information resulting from using
  the applicable crossover periods.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  The
  actual trading system would determine (each day) which of the various
  timeframe possibilities has been performing over the last 20, 30, etc. days
  and would use the relevant timeframes for trading going
  forward.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>There is a problem with what to do with trades that were entered using
  one pair of timeframes when you switch to using another.
  But you have to deal with this problem anyway if you are going to use any sort
  of dynamically adjusted moving average or similar system.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Another idea that I am playing with has two composite files.  One
  containing the results derived from trading the same system on
  stocks paying high yields and the other for stocks with low
  debt/equity ratios.   Through time, I can see definite times when
  one of these groups has better returns than the other.   Emphasis of
  investors and traders seems to switch from yield to debt and back again over
  time.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  Just
  a couple of ideas.   The first one (price brackets) seem to have the
  best reward for the amount of time invested.   Substituting sectors
  for price brackets produced some interesting results.   It
  frequently pays to buy the worst performing sectors as long as the peformance
  is working its way back to the top.  Of course, you could substitute
  actual market cap for price brackets too.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Have a think... you'll surely come up with some ways to use and/or
  improve on what I've done.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff