[amibroker] Re: TREND DETECTORS WITH VARIABLE PERIOD

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS"
Dimitris,
As a newbie to this program, I have seen a variety of interesting
indicators and find this one to be most intriguing.  I have several
questions about this particular indicator: (1) there are 7 equal
signs 3 of which have values different than 0 and I was wondering
what they indicated and if it were possible to label them in the
program.  (2) There are 3 curves, a yellow one, black one and one
that alternates between red and green, I assume that the last curve
indicates buy and sell signals but what are the other two?  Again,
is it possible to label these (in the comments section would be
fine).
Thank you,
ron
<TSOKAKIS@xxxx> wrote:
> Thank you for your comments.
> It is not complete yet, I have to check a lot. I hope it will be
> simple at the end...
> DT
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "goldwing01" <GOLDWING01@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Thank you Dimities nice piece of work with TREND DETECTOR. I can
> see
> > what you are doing thanks.
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dimitris Tsokakis"
> <TSOKAKIS@xxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Some uptrends are sustainable for more than 10-20 days.
> > > A fast trend detector, like DEMA(StochD(40),20) would buy at
B0
> and
> > sell at S0.
> > > The very next days it would force the trader to follow the
> > undesirable whipsaws W1, W2 and probably loose
> > > a part of the B0/S0 profits.[see the black line]
> > > A slow trend follower like DEMA(StochD(40),50) would start at
B1
> > [missing the interesting first 7 bars]
> > > and stop at S1[6 bars after the actual end of the trend]. The
use
> > of the slow period helps to avoid whipsaws but expose the profits
> > > to a probable dramatic decrease after the actual peak. If the
> start
> > of the trend was sharp with the well known gap ups
> > > then the remaining profits would not be similar to this great
> trend.
> > [see the yellow line].
> > > The technical analyst wish would be
> > > 1. to begin ASAP,
> > > 2. avoid the whipsaws and
> > > 3. get out as closer to the actual peak.
> > > It is the basic T/A problem with almost any indicator and here
is
> > solution proposal : the variable smoothing.
> > > Begin with the fast indicator and, as the trend goes on,
increase
> > smoothing factor adding +1 delay per bar.
> > > If the trend holds for 20 bars, the beginning would be per=20
and
> > today you would run a per=40.
> > > If the trend stops for any reason, sharply back to per=20 to
> begin
> > another, bearish cycle.
> > > The result is the ENTRY/EXIT of the att. ^NDX gif
> > > Paste in your IB the
> > >
> > > /*TREND DETECTOR WITH VARIABLE PERIOD, by D. Tsokakis,
Apr2003*/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/GHeqlB/TM