RE: [amibroker] Pairs Trading (a definition for Dingo)

Yes,
pairs trading (IMO) is all about hedging.   If you are doing pairs
trading, you are hedging yourself against overall market moves.   If
you had 50 pairs open on Sept. 11, 2001 and woke up to the horror of that day,
you could probably relax.   You might be interested in knowing that
when the market opened on 9/17, my pairs trading fund was up 1.2% since the
close before 9/11.    I was fairly relaxed about that fund and
anticipated a maximum profit/loss of 2%.   I was happy with the 1.2%,
especially since the direction was right.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: dingo
  [mailto:dingo@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 6:27
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Pairs Trading (a definition for Dingo)
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Thanks Chuck!
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Tonetti's was a little terse..  8-)
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  You
  mentioned that you work with hedge funds: Could pairs trading be
  categorized as a "hedge" strategy?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>d

    <FONT
    face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck
    Rademacher [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday,
    April 18, 2003 5:57 PMTo:
    amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Pairs Trading (a
    definition for Dingo)
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>I'll have a go at defining pairs trading for you.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    me, there are two different kinds of pairs trading (fundamental and
    technical).
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Before I get into that, however, I'll start by telling you that pairs
    trading is NOTHING MORE than buying one stock and shorting another.
    Usually, the dollars invested would be the same for each
    stock.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Fundamental pairs trading would be based on YOUR INTERPRETATION of
    the fundamentals for those two companies.   If you spent the time
    to review the annual reports for Ford and General Motors, for instance, you
    might decide that FUNDAMENTALLY Ford should outperform General Motors over
    the next six months.  So, you would buy Ford and short General
    Motors.   Your trade, in theory, should not be affected by any
    move in the entire market or even the automotive sector.   At the
    end of the six-month period you would liquidate both
    positions.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Technical pairs trading is a little more complex.   Again,
    you would be buying one stock and shorting another.   Most
    pairs traders might only trade a "pair" that were in the same sector, but
    that isn't necessarily a requirement.   The idea here is that you
    find two stocks whose average daily returns move very much in
    unison.  I won't get into the math for determining this, but I'm sure
    you get the picture.    Let's say that you discover that
    the daily returns for Ford and General Motors almost aways
    move together.  You also observe that if the returns move
    apart.... they tend to come back together.    You also
    observe the maximum amount that they varied over some period of
    time.   When you see them move apart by that amount again, you
    simply short the one with the higher returns and buy the one with the lower
    returns.  Finally, you just wait for the returns to come back together
    and liquidate both positions.     Again, the theory is
    that any major move in the overall market has no effect on your net
    position.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    might add that many, if not most, of the professional fund managers using
    pairs trading haven't done very well over the last quarter, generating
    negative returns for their investors.    I've been pairs
    trading for two years, netting just over one percent per month for investors
    in that particular fund.    I can also tell you that, in my
    opinion, any attempt at fundamental pairs trading is doomed for
    failure.
    <BLOCKQUOTE

      <FONT face="Times New Roman"
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: dingo
      [mailto:dingo@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 3:13
      PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
      [amibroker] Re: Dynamic Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN,
      PLEASE
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Could you define "pairs trading" please?
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Thx!

        face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
        [mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003
        3:08 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
        [amibroker] Re: Dynamic Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN,
        PLEASEYes. I know. See my previous post, but
        for example I don't want to have to write my own Stdev routine for
        variable periods where it would require a For loop or a script to
        get it done.  As I've said before, IMHO the best thing about AB
        today is it's speed and the LAST thing I want to do is slow it down
        w/For loops if I don't have to. The best thing about the future of
        AB is of course the support & potential enhancements and I'll be
        happy to take the latter in whatever order Tomasz thinks best with
        my own personal preference at the moment being the fixing of
        position size transactions being automatically limited to total
        available cash followed by some other aspects of portfolio trading
        i.e. pairs and ranking etc.--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
        "DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS" <TSOKAKIS@xxxx> wrote:>
        Fred,> take a look at> >
        per=10+Cum(1)%20;//variable period from 10 to 29>
        StochKa=MA(100*(C-LLV(L,per))/(HHV(H,per)-LLV(L,per)),3);>
        StochDa=MA(MA(100*(C-LLV(L,per))/(HHV(H,per)-LLV(L,per)),3),3);>
        Plot(StochDa,"",1,1);Plot(StochD(),"",4,8);> > for
        example.> DT> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
        <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> > Tomasz,> > >
        > I agree completely that these are two different areas ... to me
        > they > > are both important with (1) being higher
        priority then (2) ...> > > > With regards to (1) and
        more specifically those functions like ATR > > that
        require multiple arrays ... I understand and in the case of > ATR
        > > I'm not sure I care if this is even dealt with as again
        it's simple > > enough like my example w/MACD to create
        ones own ATR with a Foreign > > symbol using straight
        AFL.  > > > > In the case of a stochastic
        though it's clearly valid to calculate > it > > as
        n)) > > > > as opposed to using highs and
        lows.  However here again I'm not > sure > > I
        care as it's easy enough to do these in straight AFL with n being
        > > time variant since HHV and LLV are already have the
        capability of > > being time variant.> > >
        > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko"
        > <amibroker@xxxx> > > wrote:> > >
        Hello,> > > > > > As I mentioned in the other
        post of mine there are > > > TWO INDEPENDENT areas:>
        functions like RSI> > > 2. Make second argument (period)
        accept array too (variable > period).> > > >
        > > Somehow people mix those 2 areas.> > > >
        > > Fred speaks that he wants all functions to cover at
        least> > > area (1).> > > > > >
        The posts of Mark refer to area (2).> > > > >
        > Let me show you example:> > > > > > RSI(
        period ) - this function has no input data array (uses CLOSE
        > > array> > > indirectly) and accepts static
        period> > > > > > (1) RSIa( ARRAY, period ) -
        this function accepts input data > array > > but
        accepts> > > only static period> > > >
        > > (2) RSIa( ARRAY, dynamic_period ) -  this function
        accepts input > > data array > > > and
        accepts both static and dynamic_period. > > > (NOTE:
        Current version of AB does NOT support this RSIa 'flavour' >
        > yet)> > > > > > > > > As to
        (1): implementation of this is relatively easy.> > > There
        is one caveat however: many analytical functions> > > in
        fact use MORE than one input array. For example Stochastics
        use> > > Close, Open and High arrays as inputs.>
        > > ATR too needs OHLC, not only close.> > > >
        > > As to (2): not every function is suitable for this kind of
        > > operation. Although > > > theoretically it is
        possible to rewrite every function to accept > > such
        'variable> > > periods' the practice shows that
        transformations that are > recurrent > > in
        nature> > > (exponential averages for example) are
        extremely 'sensitive' if > > parameter(s)> > >
        change to fast. A kind of "frequency modulation" effect appears >
        > that may produce> > > distortions therefore one should
        be careful working with adaptive > > systems> >
        > using recurrency-based transformations.> > > >
        > > Best regards,> > > Tomasz Janeczko> >
        > amibroker.com> > > ----- Original Message -----
        > > > From: <uenal.mutlu@xxxx>> > > To:
        <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > > Sent: Friday, April
        18, 2003 5:28 PM> > > Subject: Re: [amibroker] Dynamic
        Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN, > > PLEASE> > >
        > >   LINEARREG, LINREGSLOPE, TSF > > >
        > should be removed from your list. Please> > > >
        check the remaining too... Test it in AFL editor (it will >
        inform > > you> > > > via a small hint window
        about the params after you type the > > opening
        brace).> > > > UM> > > > > >
        > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > > From:
        <uenal.mutlu@xxxx>> > > > To:
        <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > > > Sent: Friday,
        April 18, 2003 5:21 PM> > > > Subject: Re: [amibroker]
        Dynamic Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN, > > PLEASE>
        mark, > > > > > can you clarify BBANDBOT and
        BBANDTOP; > > > > > IMHO they both already do accept
        user defined arguments> > > > > for all the 3
        possible parameters to them. > > > > > UM>

        > ----- Original Message ----- > > > > > From:
        "markf2" <feierstein@xxxx>> > > > > To:
        <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > > > > Sent:
        Friday, April 18, 2003 4:03 PM> > > > > Subject:
        [amibroker] Dynamic Indicators Poll -- VOTE AGAIN, > >
        PLEASE> > > > > > > > > > >
        LLV, > HHVBars, > > LLVBars,> > > >
        > > DEMA, TEMA, MA, WMA, REF, and SUM already work with
        dynamic> > > > > > parameters. When I updated
        the poll to reflect this, ALL > > votes were> > >
        > > > lost so please vote again if you're still interested,
        LOL.> > > > > > > > > > > >
        <A
        href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/surveys?id=1071266>
        for the confusion.  The fact that the above > >
        indicators and> > > > > > functions accept dynamic
        parameters was reflected in > release > > notes
        but> > > > > > not in the 4.30 users guide that I
        used to make the poll.  > > The fact> >
        know > > either, and> > > > > > I've
        asked Tomasz to include this information in the next> > >
        > > > documentation update.> > > > > >
        unpunished."> > > > > > --Steve Karnish>

        bugs@xxxx> > > > Send SUGGESTIONS to
        suggest@xxxx> > > >
        Groups is subject to > > <A
        href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/