[amibroker] Re: To compound or not to compound... that is the question

Dimitris,
I want to learn some things about backtesting now. What is
CAR? MAR? MDD? I don't see these columns when I optimize - just
learnt how to run one. Is there a way to get this columns, the only
one that I can see is RAR.

tia
nand

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> Dingo,
>
> I assume you addressed this to Chuck, but I'll give you my own take
> on 1a of what you asked ...
>
> 1a.  I have tried lots of combinations of things to optimize on and
> have pretty much settled on what I and some others refer to as MAR
> which is CAR / MDD.  This has the advantage of finding parameters
> that simultaneously elevate CAR while keeping down DD's.  There are
> other steps involved here to assure that the parameters chosen are
as
> robust as they can be and sometimes at the cost of a little MAR but
> that's another topic.  When writing systems and testing them for
full
> compounding whether that compounding takes the form of increased
bet
> size or increased number of simultaneous trades that can be made,
the
> equity curve should be as close as possible to a straight line on a
> log scale.  KRatio is an indication of the straightness of the
equity
> curve but I also like to see it plotted.  The other advantage to
> looking at equity curves on a log scale is that for example a 10%
DD
> looks the same regardless of where on the chart it occurs.  If you
> plot the equity curve on an arithmetic scale the farther to the
right
> the larger dd's occur the more insignificant (falsely) they appear
> be.
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dingo" <dingo@xxxx> wrote:
> > I can understand and appreciate why you use fixed trade sizes in
> order
> > to get the best parameters. But how do you get a reasonable
measure
> of
> > drawdowns that way?  Do you use some other technique to evaluate
> > drawdowns?
> >
> > Re your param selection method: Do I understand the steps
> correctly:
> >
> > 1. You optimize for the best params
> >         a. Based on what column or calculation?
> >         b. What date ranges would you be using currently?
> >         c. What subset of stocks would you be optmizing on?
> >
> > 2. You set aside the the top 100.
> >         a. Do you set aside any at the bottom?
> >         b. How did you determine that the first set of params
would
> be
> > at the edge of the parameter space?
> >
> > 3. You reoptimize the resultant set from step 2 and those are the
> ones
> > you use.
> >
> > Given the size of your trading capital how do you decide what
> stocks to
> > trade on a particular day?
> >
> > I'm not trying to pick a fight here I'm intensely curious as I've
> been
> > struggling with these questions for quite some time now.
> >
> > Thanks for any comments you choose to make.

In
> > each case,
> > > the original trade was only $10,000.
> > >
> > > As I said, I go a step further than just using a fixed bet
size.
> > After my
> > > first pass at optimizing, I remove the top performing 100
> stocks.
> > I then
> > > re-optimize without those stocks.  Granted, I could end up with
> > some new
> > > "top" stocks.  However, my objective is to remove the extremely
> > large
> > > winners so that the profits from those stocks don't cause me to
> > select
> > > parameters on the edge of the parameter space.
> > >
> > > I don't bother removing the worst performers as the largest
loss
> > might be
> > > something like $16,000 (even though the original trade was only
> > $10,000).
> > > This can happen if a short trade goes against you.
> > >
> > > As I said... for what it's worth...

The
> > other main
> > > issue is about the effect of compounding when testing with TR
> > (Trading
> > > Recipes), and I comment here on that.
> > >
> > >   Traders buy TR because it can test portfolios of systems and
> > markets using
> > > position sizing. A position-sizing strategy such as fixed-
> > fractional money
> > > management brings two advantages: it normalizes markets (eg.,
> > calculating
> > > many contracts for corn, but few for natural gas), and limits
> entry
> > risk for
> > > each position to a fixed- fraction of current equity--thus
> > preventing
> > > overtrading. If you do not use TR, I do not know how you can
get
> > the large
> > > returns that compounding multiple markets can bring.
> > >
> > >   Leslie Walko points to the potential danger of curve fitting
> > caused by
> > > compounding. I agree, and have been concerned for years about
how
> > one market
> > > in a portfolio (commodity X) by being dramatically profitable
in
> > single
> > > year can misleadingly bias the results of the whole portfolio.
> > >
> > >   During a multi-year test in TR, starting equity is low,
perhaps
> > $100,000,
> > > but compounding raises equity to many million in later years.
The
> > one-year
> > > outperformance of commodity X cand produce two kinds of curve-
> > fitting bias:
> > > early-years bias and end-years bias. Mark Johnson's message
> > describes the
> > > first, where X gives "a big turbocharged boost" to the
> portfolio's
> > equity,
> > > which then gives a head-start boost to the number of trades in
> all
> > the
> > > commodities traded. The second occurs when X's monster trades
> occur
> > in the
> > > final years of the simulated time period when the large number
of
> > contracts
> > > makes X's profit far larger than if its big year came early.
Here

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
> 05
> > 632198:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?
> camp=5
> > 56&lineid=3179269&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>
> >
> > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
> M=249982.3179269.4495679.1728375/D=egrou
> > pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=443673454>
> >
> > Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
> > Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
Service

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/GHeqlB/TM