[amibroker] Re: Real-world trading (specifics for Fred)

Chuck,
May I ask you some technical questions:
1.how do you apply Stochastics on MF, since it is HLC function
2.how did you do it back in 60s without any computerised facility ?
Was it paper calculation ? [!!]
3.I read some stories about Lane´s %K and %D names. Do you remember
anything about this great T/A step ?
4. As for the Stochastic, CCI and RSI, the most interesting use is
through their composites, not the indicators alone. If you have some
time, you will find the relatively new ideas in the AFL Library.
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:
> Fred,
>
> I really hate to sound coy about my systems, as I know the various
ways that
> such a response can be interpreted.   However, I am trading several
hedge
> funds using my systems and it would be a disservice to my clients
to divulge
> my exact methods.   Having said that, I will try to answer your
questions.

> Let me start by telling you what I don't use.   I'm not looking for
a debate
> here, but I've tried all of these things and I cannot get value
from them.
> Indicators such as Stochastics, DMI, ADX, RSI, CCI, etc. have
proven to be
> useless to me, over 40 years of trading.   I know many of the
members in
> this group use some or all of those things and many people use them
> successfully.   I have not been able to do so.   I've spent a month
trading
> with George Lane (inventor of stochastics), for instance, and I've
written
> hundreds of systems that use stochastics in various forms to no
avail.  I've
> spent time with Don Lambert (creator of CCI) and couldn't find
value in that
> indicator either.   I have every book and article written about
DMI, ADX,
> RSI and have a disk folder full of discarded systems using those
indicators.

> I have to tell you (if you already aren't aware) that I approach
system
> development quite differently from most people.   Of course, that
could very
> well mean that I'm doing it "wrong".   I endeavour to create system
(s) that
> work across all stocks at all times.  Many system developers create
> system, using stochastics for instance, and then apply that system
to stocks
> that have worked well with that system in the past.   If that
approach works
> for others, fine.   I'm of the opinion that a stock that has worked
well
> with stochastics for the last 27 years could stop doing so
tomorrow.    I
> have stochastic systems, for instance, that work extremely well if
I decide
> which stocks to feed them.   So, it's not that I am unable to
develop
> systems that use these indicators.   As you are aware, such systems
are easy
> to write and test.   I feel that is equally easy to fool yourself
into
> believing that they will work in the future.
>
> As to what I do use... this is a bit more difficult for me to
discuss.   I
> can tell you that my systems are aware of where the current price
is in
> relationship to some moving average.   My systems look at
(something similar
> to) the Sharpe ratio of returns over the recent past and the slope
of a
> linear regression line and/or momentum.   Other functions you will
find
> being heavily used in my systems include things like standard
deviation and
> standard error (both based on the close).    Another hint for you
would be
> best stated in a question:  "Who says that standard deviation can
only be
> useful in powers of two?".    Many of my systems that use standard
> deviation, in some form, use powers of three, four and even seven
when
> calculating standard deviation.   I guess a mathematician would say
that
> using a power other then two makes it non standard.   That's
exactly why I
> call the function "NonStandardDeviation".
>
> Relative strength (not RSI) is also a powerful tool that I use
extensively.
> I've done over 15 years of research using relative strength in
conjunction
> with two very large ($300 billion) hedge funds in the States.  One
of the
> hedge funds I manage uses only a relative strength approach while
always
> being beta neutral.  I use a method similar to that used by IBD,
but IBD
> hasn't changed their methodology (IMO) for too many years.   It's
basically
> a multi-period relative strength, weighting each lookback period
> differently.   I can give you another clue here that took many
years for me
> to discover.   However you weight the various lookback periods,
performance
> can be increased by treating the most recent period negatively.
The idea
> being that a recent, strong, positive relative strength can very
well mean a
> pull-back is in order.
>
> That's all I can tell you, at least in this group forum.   I am
very happy
> to share concepts and I may, in the process, tell you enough about
what I'm
> doing for you to replicate it.    I'm sorry that I cannot simply
give you
> AFL code and I'm sorry if that sounds like I am building up my
systems to be
> the grail.    They are not the grail, but they do produce proven,
> consistent, non-spectacular, returns.
>
> Cheers

would be

amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >   --------------------------------------------
>   >   Check group FAQ at:
>   >
>   >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>   Service.
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>

>   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
Service.

DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ZKLNcC/pEZFAA/i5gGAA/GHeqlB/TM