[Not MM] Does PositionSizing really work?

<SPAN
class=060541313-03112002>Hello,
<SPAN
class=060541313-03112002>
I am probably
taking the risk of loosing more friends by asking this question ...
But please note that t<SPAN
class=060541313-03112002>his question does NOT ask how PosSiz is used in MM,
what i would like to know is if anybody has used PosSiz in a stand-alone
trading system with good results. For example by controlling position size based
on trend, recent profits, or other stock in-afl-system obtainable data.
Perhaps with one of these lines:

<FONT
size=2>PositionSize = -50 +
ROC(hbT3A(C,20,0.84),1)*5; <FONT
size=2> PositionSize =
-50 + ROC(hbT3A(Equity(1),20,0.84),1)*5;
<FONT
size=2>PositionSize = - 100 +
RSI();<SPAN
class=060541313-03112002>
My limited
experience is that using PositionSizing I can improve my win/loss ratio from
below 1 to above 10 however my profits dwindled to 10% of the original
level, with a decrease in Market exposure. There was only a marginal
reduction in DrawDowns. I could select any level of performance (in terms of W/L
ratio) between 1 and 10 but there seemed to be no clear winner. What shouldI
look for?
<SPAN
class=060541313-03112002>
Another very
important question is how to rate the effectiveness of position sizing,
final profits don't mean too much I think. What if we use something
like:

<FONT
size=+0>
E = Equity(1<FONT
size=2>);Tr = <FONT
face=Arial>Ref(Buy OR
Short,-1<FONT
size=2>);Shares = <FONT face=Arial
size=2>ValueWhen(Tr,E/O<FONT
size=2>);<FONT face=Arial
size=2>SysRating = Cum(Shares *
ROC(E,1);
This would provide a
final rating proportional to the number of shares purchased and their profit. If
we bought more shares at times when profits were high this rating would go up,
if we bought large numbers of shares while profits were low this rating would go
down. Assuming other conditions remain constant, would this be valid reasoning?
Any comments on this?
<SPAN
class=060541313-03112002>
Anybody willing to