RE: [amibroker] Re: Dynamic Money Management

<FONT color=#000080
size=2>Al,
Your description
of the course confuses me.  I am going thru Tharp's "Trade Your Way toFin.
Freedom" and he talks about developing a mechanical system with positive
expectancy.  So why are they teaching a "discretionary" system??
How does Dennis know if his method has positive expectancy?
<FONT color=#000080
size=2>
Thanksagain for
the input.

<FONT face="Vladimir Script" color=#000080
size=5>Rick

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Avcinci
[mailto:avcinci@xxxx]Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 8:59
PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker]
Re: Dynamic Money Management
I liked it for the most part. The marble games Van uses to teach youthe
value of money management gave much amusement and taught valuable
lessons. As far as the rest of the course, it was taught by Dennis Ullom,a
CANSLIM stock trader. He went over in great detail his interpretation and
modification of CANSLIM type of trading. He uses extremely tight stops (less
than $1, sometimes fractions of a dollar), thereby enabling him to take on
huge positions. Although I've always been intrigued by CANSLIM, it's not
really for me. I'm more of a mechanical type of trader. I don't want to rely
that much on discretion to guide my decisions. If you are more of a
discretionary trader, you would probably love this course.

AV
<BLOCKQUOTE

sharing!  You saved me some serious number
crunching.
<FONT color=#000080
size=2>
How did you
like the course?

[mailto:avcinci@xxxx]Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002
8:09 PMTo: <A
href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
Re: [amibroker] Re: Dynamic Money Management
Not any more Rick. When I took Tharp's Advanced Stock Market
course last year, he made a point that the way he suggested calculating
expectancy in his book is indeed very cumbersome. However, he said there
is a much easier way. You simply calculate everything in terms of
R-multiples (multiples of risk). For example, suppose you risk 1% of
equity on each trade, and your initial equity is $100,000. So, the value
of 1R is $1000. If your first trade makes $3000, you have made a 3R
profit. If you lose $1500, you lose 1.5R, if you make $10,000, you make
10R, etc. The easiest way to calculate expectancy is simply to add upall
your R-multiples, net them out by subtracting the negative R-multiples
from the positive ones, then divide by the no. of trades. This gives you
your expectancy per trade. Should be very simple to do in AB.

Al V.
<BLOCKQUOTE