Dynamic Money Management

Tomasz:

Yesterday, I posted a message on Van Tharp's forum about your plans
to incorporate innovative money management and pyramiding techniques
in a future version of AB. Below is a response from a user of Trading
Recipes, who claims that TR is the only software that handles MM
corrrectly. Here is what he said:

"It DOES position sizing. the RIGHT way. I own the program and it is
GREAT. It took me about 5 minutes to get over the fact that it is
still a DOS based app. But it's really the ONLY tool that does it the
correct way.

I talked to AmiBroker about 6 months ago, and they told me the same
thing. Plus once they do release the program with position sizing, it
still has to be proven that they have done it right.

There are three other companies that I know have that have tried to
do position sizing. Two of them got it wrong. www.rinasystems.com and
www.bhld.com

The third is the athena program that is mentioned in Van's book. I
haven't ever had the privilege of playing with that program, but I
believe I read somewhere that it used output files from trade
station. So, it would also fall into the category of a program that
isn't truely implementing position sizing at the portfolio level like
Trading Recipes does."

To explain what he meant by doing it 'the right way', here is what he
said:

"TRADING RECIPES' approach lets you combine trading signals and trade
sizing strategies into simulations which exactly mimic the way you
would trade in real time. A core feature, which sets it apart from
all other "money management" (or backtesting) software, is its
ability to perform dynamic money management (DMM) and risk control at
the portfolio level. With DMM, position sizes are determined with
full knowledge of what's going on at the portfolio level at the
moment the sizing decision is made. Just like you do in reality.
Other software packages simply sum individual pre-calculated equity
curves. This way, position sizes are calculated with no knowledge of
what the current portfolio conditions are at the crucial moment when
a position sizing decision is to be made. This is not how you would
make decisions in reality and therefore such simulations offer no
useful information to the trader. DMM avoids this pitfall."

TJ, will your approach be able to do DMM as described above?
Personally, I have no desire to use any program based on DOS. I think
the position sizing algorithm now included in AB does almost what
this guy describes except for scaling in and out of trades and basing
one's decisions on the value of the entire portfolio of multiple
stocks rather than a portfolio of one stock.

Al V.