Re: Tharp's ATR-based PositionSizing

Herman,

Thanks for posting your returns.

Seems to me that while the system reduced drawdown significantly, it
deteriorated system performance to a point of being significantly
worse than B&H.

It takes a lot of work to trade and I beleive the results should be
significatly better than B&H.

I have tried using stops based on ATR with positionsize fixed, and
even after optimization of stop levels, system performance suffers
considerably. In fact my results we better with a flat percentage
stop.

I am spending time in system development, but my current opinion is
that human judgement needs to be integrated with an entry signal. I
have not been able to program enough conditions to make mechanical
systems with high return, without severely limiting number of trades.

As negative as I may sound, I strongly beleive that posts like yours
benefit everyone who works at it.

While we spend a lot of time with system development and trying to
keep up with a barrage of AB developments by Tomasz, we must remember
that our focus is not to become programmers, but use our collective
skills to better our trading. Sometimes that objevtive seems to take
second place....

So I hope we see more posting on systems and trading in the future,
especially as AB enhancements will start slowing down and users will
have fewer questions as time goes on...

Ara