Re: Interactive Brokers Reply

Hi,

also have several accounts with IB since 03/00 - very happy with them.

Hal wrote :"They are great, except you get NO interest of any kind on
your money,..."
This is not true - IB pays interest for cash in your account > 10.000
USD.
Their margin lending rates are amongst the lowest in the industry.

Stop orders : I use stops ( day + GTC ) regularly and have yet to
find an occassion, where they didn't work. It is necessary, to have
the activation price set a few cent away from your desired stop.

Stops setup with IB's TWS are not displayed to the market until the
activation price has been hit 2 times - after that, your stop becomes
active and is executed as soon as your stop-limit price has been
afterwards.

TWS 4.0: You need to have the Java Interface installed in order to
run TWS properly ! More info see their website.

One more hint : TWS doesn't work if you're behind a firewall, because
it needs to establish a dedicated connection. You need to ask your
sysadmin to change FW settings in order to allow this connection
established through the firewall.

regards
Stefan

--- In amibroker@xxxx, "IVA GmbH" <funnybiz@xxxx> wrote:
> Johan,
>
> I read your post regarding IB and would like to use your expertise
as well.

> Just last week, I opened an account with them but was neber able to
get TWAS 4.0 up and running.

> The always send me back and forth from cust. service to tech
support and vice versa.

> What did you mean exactly by your mentioning of stop orders. Don´t
they work them properly, especially when they´re set as GTC???

> Thanks for your input
>
> Markus
> (Germany)

interest of any kind on your money, therefore if you don't intend to
invest the majority of your funds, maybe there might be some other
brokerage paying interest you might consider.

> If you need psychological or any YES man working for you, then
it's No Good, as you are warned before you open account that you
should know all about how to place the orders that you want, because
it is YOU who, in effect, place your orders and then send them on to
the market makers.

> At 1 cent per share on stocks for the first 500 shares, then 0.5
cents/share for quantities above 500. Futures contracts are very low
also - I believe around $1.50 -- but you can read all of that stuff
at their site.

> If you want to "be on your own", then this is the place. If you
learn to use the "Hot Keys" for the various functions, then I
understand that the market action is almost instantaneous and
suitable for "day trading".

> Their "HELP" works best with e-mails, and at times is a bit slow
in responding, to counter that there is 24 hour help. You might be
talking to Hong Kong, after our markets closed (I did!), but
somewhere in the world there is an IB brokerage that will try to
answer your questions. You can tell that they are NOT over staffed,
but I believe its adequate. I had trouble with Stop orders, then I
found out that stops are a two price operation. The trigger price
then the Active price. So should you use stops, then be warned, study
them closely before you use them.

> If you have other questions, give me a shout. As for me, IB is
GREAT!

> Regards,
>
> Hal
>
> At 11:40 PM 8/15/01 +0000, you wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a broker in the U.S.
>
> Has anyone experience with "Interactive Brokers"?
>
> Any advice or suggestion is welcome.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Johan

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor