Re: [amibroker] Newbee Questions/Observations

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your e-mail and welcome to the mailing list.

>[snip]
> The only menu that I get from right clicking anywhere on a chart is
> the indicator menu. Are the other object menus disabled in the
> evaluation version? If not, what could be preventing me from getting
> object specific menus when right clicking?
Currently this just works in that way. The only object-specific
item in the menu is "Properties" item. It allows you to see the
properties of the object underneath the mouse (trend line, text box).

> How do you activate line studies (like trendlines) to individually
> reposition/move them, delete them, etc.?
You can delete individual studies using "Delete study" item from the right
mouse button (RMB) menu. You have to be over the study you want to delete.
As for moving once drawn studies - currently it can only be acomplished
by changing study's co-ordinates in the "Properties" window.

> How do you reposition/move inner windows/panes? For example, if an
> indicator pane is below the price pane, and you prefer that it is
> above the price pane, how do you move it?
Currently you should delete price pane and insert it again - it will be added
after the indicator pane.

> I have searched, but not discovered how to selectively eliminate
> horizontal gridlines from some panes, but not others (either as a
> preference or for individual panes). I'd like to have a centerline on
> oscillator panes, but do not want gridlines on other panes such as
> price and relative strength.
As for custom indicators - you have complete control over the grid lines
in the Indicator Builder window.
As for predefined ones (including main chart pane) there is only
one setting for controlling grid line color in Tools->Preferences, so
you may consider changing the color of a grid line to the color of a background
so it will become invisible.

> If there is no way to have a crosshair displayed, this would be a
> helpful addition to the program. Also the ability to automatically
> draw a parallel trendline (even on log-scale price plots) would be
> nice.
A crosshair is available in version 3.68 (http://www.amibroker.com/bin/ab368beta.zip)
from View->Crosshair menu.

> With the chart background set to dark grey (my preference), you cannot
> see the cursors for drawing line studies.
This is the problem of Window's standard cross-hair cursor that is drawn using
XOR operation. Unfortunatelly XOR with a grey color (0x808080 hex) gives
(0x7f7f7f hex) which is also gray (very close).

> For me, the small crosshair cursor that is used to draw trendlines
> does not allow you to position the trendline with as much precision as
> a pencil or other pointer-type cursor would. When placed over a
> candlestick, the small crosshair cursor often overlays the candle
> wick/shadow making it difficult to position the beginning and end of
> the trendline exactly where you'd like it. I have the 'Price" color
> (candlestick outline) set to black, by the way.
Thank you for this observation. As you probably guess there are thousands
of possible color combinations, and it is sometimes hard to predict
all possible user's settings. I will think how to overcome this problem in
the future releases.

> AFL seems to be a real well thought out formula language. I was able
> to easily translate most of my MetaStock indicator code in one day and
> I'm finally able to do some things with relative strength comparatives
> that I've wanted to do for years.
I am glad to hear that.

Final note:
As you probably guessed I am constantly improving AmiBroker at quite nice pace.
I am very interested in hearing user's comments & ideas. I use them everyday
to improve the product. As for drawbacks mentioned by you - please check out
a to-do list at http://www.amibroker.com/todo.html to see what is planned in the
next few releases. The list is, however, not complete and more is planned.
An object-oriented UI will be introduced in spring 2002.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
http://www.amibroker.com