[amibroker] Currency comment

  • To: AmiBroker Mail list <amibroker@xxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Currency comment
  • From: Donald Dalley <ddalley@xxxx>
  • Date: 23 Mar 2000 17:00:48 -0000

Hello, Tomasz:

Version 3.24 has some interesting new features, again!

>From Release Note:

"Stock information enhancements: address field in enlarged to 128 characters,
country and currency fields added (now informative only, but in future
currency information will be used in portfolio for calculations)"

This could get complicated, so before you start, here is some feedback:

I don't know how currencies are used in other markets (maybe some people on
the list can speak for themselves, here), but, because the Canadian economy is
tied to the US economy so tightly, some Canadian companies with operations in
the US also report "financials" in US dollars.

Because Canadian or US stocks can trade in each country's stock markets, the
stocks >usually< trade in dollars respective to each country (i.e. US stocks
traded in Canada have prices listed in Canadian dollars; the same applies for
Canadian listings on US markets).

There are a small number of foreign companies (one of which I hold) listing on
Toronto which don't follow this rule, by having both their listings and
financials reported in the US currency, so any calculations based on this
currency information (listed price vs earnings numbers) should be optional or
configurable.

If a user has accounts in more than one country, their commissions would be in
different currencies, too. Now, I don't do this (there are rules!), but, many
Canadians have US accounts, operated from within the US. I believe some of
your European users trade on foreign exchanges, as well, so the Euro may be a
big help to them, if it is applied across the board now.

It will be real interesting to see how a currency's value will be set for the
current value and some calculations, especially historically, for the coming
portfolio perfomance feature!

Anyway, just giving my two cents, while waiting for the new Amiga version. ;^)

--

The World of AmiBroker Support