[amibroker] Groups example/discussion

  • To: AmiBroker Mail list <amibroker@xxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Groups example/discussion
  • From: Donald Dalley <ddalley@xxxx>
  • Date: 02 Mar 2000 23:32:33 -0000

Hi, everyone:

I have put an example of "broker.groups" on my web page. Look at the last
entry.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~ddalley/details.html

It is based upon the Toronto Stock Exchange's 300 Index's sub-groups. Use this
to create your own, if you don't like these divisions. (There is no point in
exchanging "broker.markets" because it is just not useful, in the same way
that broker.groups is.)

The group list does not take the Index's major divisions into account. In
other words, there are major groups, such as Financials, but Financials are
broken down into sub-groups, such as Banks or Insurance companies. My list
only has the sub-groups because I didn't want the confusion of the major group
names in the list. Why make it possible to accidently list a bank as a
"financial" when "bank" is more accurate? I therefore surmised that the major
groups were not needed.

Before I start using this file, I'd like some feedback on how it could be
improved. Notice that the edited file has the group number first. This is done
so that I know a group "number" is actually being used, and the same idea will
be _vital_ to integrating Profiler with broker.markets, and doing other
procedures.

There is one concern of future revisions. If a new group is added to the
TSE-300, then there is no room for adding it to broker.groups, in the same
order, without shifting the positions of the higher group numbers. This would
make some current settings wrong.

There are sub-index numbers related to the TSE-300's sub-groups, but, with
numbers such as 703, they are not deemed useful, as I see it, under that above
conditions.

I would appreciate others thoughts about this.

--

The World of AmiBroker Support