[amibroker] Contest Finish

  • To: AmiBroker Mail list <amibroker@xxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Contest Finish
  • From: Donald Dalley <ddalley@xxxx>
  • Date: 07 Jan 2000 06:33:05 -0000

Hi:

The latest Toronto Star Stock Challenge is over and I am happy to say we did
pretty good. Thanks go to Tomasz's AmiBroker and my database. Future contests
might go better with the new features and more earnings info for each stock.

Contests are a good way to sharpen your skills, but ones like the TorStar
Challenge (links to some other contests are at my site) are extremely
difficult to get past the luck & timing elements and no-trading rule. This was
a particularly well timed & lucky year. The number of contestants are usually
over 100,000 (the largest newspaper contest in North America), but I didn't
see yet how many were in this contest. About 20-25% are student groups,
usually.

My whole family enters each contest - it helps with the odds, and we all learn
something. Since we first entered 3 yrs ago, my daughter (Nyssa, now 8 yrs)
has always picked her own stocks and usually does very well.

The market correction really helped out my wife's account, bringing her up
nearly 600 places, at the finish! Her acc't opened the reporting period in 2nd
place, though! My daughter's picks brought her a noticable improvement over
her respectable finish in the Spring contest. My placing was not in the top
5,000, so I'll never know where I finished.

Fall '99
RANK NAME TOTAL CHANGE LAST TOTAL LAST RANK

215 Dalley, Nina 150,940.460 415.980- 151,356.440 825
1296 Dalley, Nyssa D 138,161.750 3,775.060- 141,936.810 2,364

Spring '99
3871 Dalley, Nyssa D 119,055.150 677.500- 119,732.650 2,885
--

The World of AmiBroker Support