[amibroker] Re: Updated Euro converter

Hi, Tomasz:

On 12-Feb-99, Tomasz Janeczko wrote:

> It is somewhat strange: AmiBroker 2.90 does not handle it's database
> different than 2.71. Currently only internally all prices are converted to
> floats, but external data format remains the same as in 2.71 - it means
> that exactly the same data is stored and this means that all data below
> 0.01 is discarded. This will change if I change the rest of the code
> (responsible for database management) - then all data will be stored
> in at least 7 significant digits.

Ah, but we're both right! ;^)

If you look at what I changed, you will see that the way the price below .01
gets handled is different for each AB version.

For 2.71, a price below .01 is meaningless, so I delete the entire quote.
Previous versions of the converter did not handle this correctly at all
(although latter versions did try).

If 2.90 held more significant digits, you could just convert and keep all
digits. It does not (at the moment), but the code does not take that into
account. It *presumes* that 2.90 keeps more significant digits.

That's why I said that you should not currently Save a converted database
using 2.90, since it could (in rare cases) have some zero prices.

Once I figured out that 2.90 was no different than 2.71 in this matter, I
just left things alone. The converter is willing and able the moment
2.9x is! (said without being able to test it, of course)

(Keep in mind that this only affects real small values, and if I understand
correctly, many (but not all?) Euro conversions would have gone up in
value, not down. That only means a very small number of quotes would
ever be affected, and only in those currencies which converted down.
If a currency converted up, there is no zero-Save problem.)

The World of AmiBroker Support
http://webhome.idirect.com/~ddalley
Member: ICOA and Team AMIGA

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/amibroker